Friday, August 31, 2012

my mom



My MOM

    My Mom died yesterday. I always knew it would happen one day. As I did her laundry every weekend I always said that I didn't mind. That when I didn't have her laundry to do, it would be because she was no longer with us. Sometimes when I felt overwhelmed with managing all of my priorities (kids, grandchildren, family stuff, marriage, Mom's care, work) I would think, 'Careful. One day your Mom won't be here and your grandchildren won't want to hang out with you". 

    My Mom died yesterday. I always knew it would happen one day but one day isn't now. It isn't soon, it's - one day. I don't like now. When the hospital called Sunday morning at 5:00 a.m. to say Mom had taken a turn for the worse, I woke my brother, called my sister, and made it to the hospital by 5:30. No easy task given the distance to the hospital. Let's just say I drove, quickly. I prayed for the opportunity to be there for her. Not after, but before and during. I don't like after, that happened when my Dad died. 

    My Mom died yesterday. I was at the hospital almost every day that she was there and she experienced a myriad of emotion, pain, endurance, and courage and along with her, I experienced all of it. Under the influence of pain and narcotics she was angry (she was going to die and I didn't care), sad (it is too much), calm (it will all be okay), irritated (your shoes (clip clop) drive me crazy), honest (why is your hair always so scraggly when 'theirs' is always so nice) to motherly (patting my hand, tucking my hair behind my ears). And through it all, she persevered. She is the strongest woman I know and yet something most people don't realize is that she fought every day for her place in this world. She was often insecure and self-deprecating without the humour. As she aged, her childhood memories of never being good enough came back to haunt her. She was both the matriarch of the family and the child of her memories. She ached for the days when she could dance and run and she fought hard against those who insisted on taking away her independence. 

    My Mom died yesterday. I entered the room at 5:30 and I stayed at her bedside until 8:45 when she took her last breath. I held her hand and rested my head on her arm. My sister sat on the other side of the bed and together we prayed for her. I hope that at some level she knew. Her chest heaved with effort but I felt the change when her body stopped trying so hard and signalled my sister. Together, we cried as we held her and felt her last breath. 

    My Mom died yesterday. For years I called my Mom every day to say hello and tell her I loved her. I went to the hospital every day (except the first two days of my brother’s visit) of the nineteen days that she was in the hospital. Every time I had the opportunity, I told her I loved her and through the haze of narcotics, sometimes it registered, sometimes it probably didn't. I know that she knew that I loved her and she always told me that she appreciated everything that Mark and I did for her. It will never feel like it was enough because I could not love her back to health. At the same time I know that barring the occasional emotional outburst with her, I did good and I loved her good, and I helped to ease her to the other side. 

    My Mom died yesterday. It hurts. Maybe it hurts less because I could be there so much for the last ten years or maybe more because I could be there so much for the last ten years. I always regretted not being able to tell my Dad that we would look after Mom. So I did the next best thing. I looked after Mom. And one day came too soon. 

   My Mom died yesterday. It isn't real yet. And I don't know what I am supposed to do now. I feel like curling up in my Mom's lap and letting her tuck my scraggly hair behind my ears. I would change my annoying shoes, style my hair, listen to her everyday worries that were so big to her and yet seemingly minor to the rest of the world, and I would sit with her through more of the weekly sing-along with 'Howdy Doody or similar'. But that won't happen again and I have to look after her finances and be there for my siblings as much as they are there for me. I will do what I have to do and hope that no one sees my pain and despair and worse, be tempted to offer sympathy which would undo my facade. 

    My Mom died yesterday. There is a crippling pain in my heart and many tears and memories. I keep seeing her smile, her voice, her words telling me that it is okay. But how can that be true? My Mom died yesterday.

Catherine Sparling, March 19, 2012






I love you Mom.


No comments: