Monday, June 09, 2014

The Other Caregiver

March 27, 2012 at 8:58pm
 
Much has been said about the caregiving that Mark and I provided to Mom since she moved to Calgary in late 2002. I appreciate the kudos and tributes given that, over time (as any caregiver knows) there is a physical, mental, social, financial, and emotional price to be paid. Mark in particular is to be commended since he is not one of the six children my Mom raised, but rather a son-in-law who went above and beyond. On the flip side, the benefits are overwhelmingly positive and I am without a doubt incredibly fortunate to have been able to be there for my Mom and I feel good knowing it was by choice.

Yes, I was the primary caregiver. I took the calls in the middle of the night. I spent hours at the hospital. I called Mom every day. I took her to appointments, did her shopping, wrapped her presents. I brought her home for holidays. I dealt with all of her medical and financial issues. I did this while working full time and juggling priorities.

But there was another caregiver in the background. She has the type of job where any time missed is unpaid. She generally spent a minimum of three to four hours every week with Mom during which she took her shopping, played cards with her, took over for me at the hospital whenever possible, ferried her to doctor appointments, picked up and delivered Mom's friend for visits, helped me shop for Mom, and was my confidant when everything was overwhelming. So, kudos Lynne, here's to you. Don't ever think that you were less important in Mom's life. You were there for Mom and you provided emotional support. If Mark and I were the rocks in her garden, you were the plants. In the grand scheme, both are vital and we all (you, me, Mark, and Mom) benefited.

No comments: